HISTORY OF ZETA AMICAE
As early as 1940, graduate chapters of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated had realized the importance of the prestige, goodwill and cooperation of women who were not eligible to be members of Greek-letter organizations.
In 1948, a group of women organized to assist Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. members in whatever capacity needed. They chose the Latin name Amicae (friends) for their auxiliary. The first chartered group was given to Lambda Zeta Chapter of Houston, Texas.
The first undergraduate chapter to present an auxiliary was Kappa Alpha Chapter of Miners Teachers College, Washington, DC (The University of the District of Columbia) on February 23, 1949, during Kappa Alpha’s Finer Womanhood Program.
Zeta Amicae of Washington DC have rendered invaluable services to the Sorority and the community. Their DC community outreach projects have included annual Christmas Cheer projects with Carroll Manor Nursing Home, AARP Meal Pack Challenge for Seniors, Veterans Women Rock, March of Dimes, and the Teddy Bear Projects at the Hospital for Sick Children. During the month of November, the auxiliary celebrates its annual “Sister Friend Tea” which is a bonding activity for Friends and Sorors of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. Beta Zeta.
Zeta Amicae of Washington, DC is the 2nd oldest auxiliary in Zeta Phi Beta, Sorority, Inc.’s history and have been providing service for 71 years.